Written by Majidah Muhammad
The Glow Up: From the inside out
Glow Up; verb
- An incredible transformation
- An intricate, elaborate and individual process
A Self- care routine is not just about bubble baths and working out. As the creator of Shine Text say, it’s about how you nurture yourself from the inside out. It’s how you balance your life and mental health on a daily basis. For moms, this can be difficult. It’s a tough balance between keeping the house together, working a job, taking care of yourself, caring for children plus a husband if you’re married. Although finding the balance can be challenging, it’s worth it. Health and wellness for your family begins with you. It’s about glowing from the inside out; an intricate, elaborate and individual process.
But how, sis? How do we make the glow up real, amongst the other 5 thousand tasks!??
5 ways to make the Glow Up Real
1. Like Nike, JUST DO IT. Make yourself a priority. All is takes is one small step towards yourself. Run yourself a detox bath on a Sunday morning. Read a good book. Do 30 mins of cardio. Go to yoga. Drink some tea. Give yourself a facial. Write in your journal. Comb your hair. Polish your nails. Take 5 mins to meditate. Whatever the “it” is for you, JUST DO IT. You’ll thank yourself later and crave more of that feeling. You’ll look back a year from now, GLOWING and happy you started with a small step.
2. Wake up early. Getting up just 1 hour earlier than you normally do can be life changing. It’s an opportunity to create a productive morning routine. Use the time to set your own priorities where nothing is required of you and that time can be used how you dictate without the mumblings of children. It is a great time to tune in to your feelings and connect to yourself to create calmness for the day. It will set the tone for the rest of the day. Absolutely, waking up early can be hard but once you develop this routine, you’ll be glad you did.
3. Get an accountability partner. Having an accountability partner automatically increases your changes of success with health and wellness goals. Find someone who will be helpful, open and honest with you; someone who will provide you with inspiration, wisdom and keep you on track. When you know you have someone to account for and answer to your actions and results, you are more likely to reach your goals. Thomas Monson said: “When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates.” Accelerate your performance, by finding an accountability partner.
4. Delegate. Delegate. Delegate. As Epic Moms, we try to do it all and can burn ourselves out. We give too much to too many people and have nothing left to give to ourselves. Delegate some of those mom roles to reserve your energy. Being your best self for your family is very important. It’s valuable to be present and available for your children and spouse. Delegate the things you aren’t good at in order to focus on the things you do very well. Nowadays, there are a variety of services from house cleaning, to laundry to grocery delivery. You can also reach out to mom friends and family to help get some of these tasks done. And don’t feel the need to apologize for outsourcing responsibilities.
5. Give yourself some grace.Give up on being perfect for being authentic. Be who you are and love who you are; others will too. Accepting who you are and what you need, and creating your life around that, will make you a better mother, a better wife, a better friend, a better daughter, and a better career woman.